Part 1: Guidelines for Auditions
Be sure to read Part 2: Video Requirements and Tips before recording your audition video
Auditions for the 2023 session will be submitted via video (smartphone videos are okay!). Instructions for submitting a video audition will be emailed after the registration process has been completed. If you are unable to submit a video audition, please complete the registration process and check the box at the end of the registration form that indicates you need an alternate way to audition and you will be contacted by the PSE staff.
- One short piece, or a concerto or sonata movement.
- Please prepare both excerpts listed for your instrument below:
Excerpts for 2023
– Mendelssohn String Quartet Op. 44 no. 1 1st Mvmt (Vln 1): Beginning to downbeat of Letter A https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/usimg/f/ff/IMSLP18766-PMLP27016-Mendelssohn_-String_Quartet_No._3(Violin_1_part).pdf
– Brahms String Quartet Op. 51 No. 2 1st movement (Vln 1 part): beginning to m. 61 (1 before letter C): https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/usimg/e/ee/IMSLP726296-PMLP22216-Brahms_String_Quartet_2_ViolinI.pdf
– Beethoven String Quartet Op. 59 no. 3 4th Mvmt (“Allegro Molto): Beginning to downbeat of Letter B https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/usimg/2/2e/IMSLP287837-PMLP04779-LvBeethoven_String_Quartet_No.9,_Op.59_No.3_Röntgen_viola.pdf
– Brahms String Quartet Op. 51 No. 2 1st movement: m. 61 (1 before letter C) to m. 104 (letter F) https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/usimg/0/0b/IMSLP726298-PMLP22216-Brahms_String_Quartet_2_Viola.pdf
-Schubert String Quintet in C Maj Op. 163 1st Mvmt (Cello 1): m. 35-79 https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/usimg/4/4d/IMSLP32336-PMLP06343-Schubert_-_String_Quintet_in_C_Major_D956-Cello1.pdf
– Brahms String Quartet Op. 51 No. 2 1st movement: m. 149 (letter H) to m. 179 (letter J) https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/usimg/2/24/IMSLP726299-PMLP22216-Brahms_String_Quartet_2_Violoncello.pdf
No excerpts required, just one short piece, or a concerto or sonata movement as described above.
As an example of level, below is a list of the piano repertoire performed at PSE 2022.
- Bagatelles, Op. 47 by Antonín Dvořák
- I. Allegretto scherzando
- III. Allegretto scherzando
- V. Poco Allegro
- Piano Trio No. 39 in G Major, Hob XV:25 by Franz Joseph Haydn
- I. Andante
- III. Finale
- Piano Quartet No. 1 in G Minor, K. 478 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- I. Allegro
- Piano Quintet in E-flat Major, Op. 44 by Robert Schumann
- I. Allegro brillante